Mid-winter tips to keep your house safe and Old Man Winter out:
- Watch those icy steps, keep salt or ice melt (preferably eco-friendly) around to prevent slips and falls.
- Shut all windows, you’d be surprised how many may not be securely closed.
- Going away to beat the chill? Ask a neighbor to check on the house during very cold spells.
- Never use a space heater when a room is not occupied.
- Know where your main water shut off is and how to shut it off in case of a frozen pipe burst.
- Leave a tap dripping overnight when it’s going to be very cold; helps prevent pipes freezing.
- Retrieve the mail from your mailbox wearing shorts and flip flops.*
* The folks next door will think you have lost sensibility, but tell them you have good circulation.
We might not be able to help you with the Old Man but let us know if we can help with home insurance.